TechCORE2 Fall 2018 Saturday Program Scholarships for
(4) H.S. Young Men in Philadelphia
“African-American men are also underrepresented in the workforce much like women and other minorities. Data from a most recent census show that in 2010, African-American men made up 6.2% of the population between 18 and 64 years old. But in the same year, the NSF reported that African American men represented just 3% of scientists and engineers working in those fields. Many of the hurdles that prevent young, African-American men from pursuing careers in STEM fields sound familiar: lack of role models, resources and “relatability.” The solutions, too, mirror those used to entice more women to work toward STEM careers: Start teaching and engaging students sooner, and work to dispel the curse of self-doubt.” (http://yourblackworld.net/2017/05/02/black-men-stem-minority/)
PHILADELPHIA, PA, July 31st, 2018 – TechCORE2 (TC2) is excited to announce a scholarship for young men going to a Public or Charter school in Philadelphia. With the help of EMSCO Scientific Enterprises, four (4) scholarships will be given to young men who participate in one of the TechCORE2 Fall 2018 programs (Program Registration @ Shop.techcore2.org/store).
General Guidelines & Eligible Classes:
- E) Introduction to Python Coding (grades 7th to 12th)
- F) Google App Development (grades 7th to 12th)
- G) Python II Coding (grades 7th to 12th)
- H) Hip Hop & STEM Music Production (grades 7th to 12th)
- I) Google App Development (grades 7th to 12th)
- Young Men must attend Philadelphia Public or Charter School High School
- Must submit a 1 page Essay and PowerPoint or Google Slide Presentation on “Why I Want to Pursue a STEM Career.” Please indicate if you will be able to attend all 8 Saturday classes and your travel plans?
The *new* deadline to apply is September 10, 2018. Please send all submissions and questions to EMSCOscholarship@techcore2.org. Also, please indicate which class you will be attending in the submission.
TechCORE2 is proud to celebrate its new 501(c)3 Nonprofit Corporation designation highlighting S.T.E.A.M. Programs / Internships / Scholarships. Since 2015, TC2 has operated as a nonprofit program providing extensive paid summer internship programs, spring & fall 8-week Saturday classes, as well as conducted STEM workshops and lessons in the Philadelphia area.
Our mission is to develop a technology pipeline program for urban youth from Kindergarten-to-College-to-career entry. TC2 currently has (6) PAID College Intern Instructors who manage and teach our (12) PAID High School Internship program plus four (4) additional youth programs totaling over 100 youth around the Philadelphia area.